Saturday, January 22, 2011

Naming Explosion

Annabelle has entered this phase in her life. In case you're not familiar with the term 'naming explosion,' here's the definition: Naming explosion refers to a period of language development in which children add about 45 new nouns to their vocabulary every day.

(In this picture she had left our room and came back with a bunch of chocolate on her face...I think Grandpa thought he was sneaking it to her...uhh, it didn't work so well!!)

A couple months ago, one of my friends had learned about this in her class (Hi, Jamie!!). She then spent the rest of the night using this expression over and over and over to the point where all of us that were hanging out ended up believing we would never forget these words. Well, I did sort of forget, so I ended up asking her what it was called again, but I'm sure it'll be awhile before I forget again now that Annabelle has begun her naming explosion.

I have been trying to keep somewhat of a record of the words that Annabelle says. Mainly because I know that at her next doctor appointment, her doctor is going to ask how many words I think she says and I don't want to be sitting there without even so much as a clue. Last night, I realized there are words that she says, that I never knew that she could say. Words that no one has or would have asked her to repeat.

Here's Annabelle's list of the words that I know she says (including names):
No
Mama
Hi
Bye
Ball
Papa
Mine
Annabelle
Go
Eye
Please
Hello
Mommy
Duck
Baby
Quack-quack (yes, I consider this a word. This is tough for a little toddler to say!!)
Up
Boo
Apple
Grandpa (though it often times comes out just "Papa")
Potty
Poop
Jacket
Annaka
Jackie
Puppy
Car
Off
Hot
Hat
Kai
Boot
Cold
Noah
Lila
Thank you
I love you (sort of...sometimes....when she feels like it...lol)
Shoe
Sam (comes out "ham")
Eat
More
Help (sort of)
Cheek
Head
Belle 
Sock (it doesn't quite sound like 'sock' but more with a 'c' sound instead of the 's' sound... :-/)
Elmo (yes, my child, that has watched Sesame Street a total of 1 time, knows who Elmo is and how to say his name. And she's completely in love with him!)
Belly
Elbow (yes, elbow. No idea how she picked that one up, but she says it pretty clearly and knows where her elbows are too!)
Cheese
Blue (and she actually recognizes things that are blue. If her shirt is blue and you ask her what color it is, she'll tell you it's blue. Other colors, I'm not so sure on yet...)
Yellow
Purple
Toy (sounds like "koy")
Juice (comes out "ju")
Either Cow or Towel, or both...because, well, her t's sound like the c/k sound and she often leaves off the end of a word, which would very much make "towel" sound like "cow" for her...

The next ones are the ones that I didn't know until yesterday or very recently:
Cubby
Coat
Boy
Girl
Come on
Cup
Ribbit

Really? Boy and girl?? How in the world does she know how to say those words?? And if you ask her if she's a boy or a girl, she'll chose one and say "I'm a boy/girl."

She does also the sign for words 'more,' 'thank you,' 'please,' and 'eat' when she says them.

She also knows what a monkey, cow, horse, duck, dog, cat, bird, elephant, pig, and fish say. Well, those are the ones that I know she knows, but it really wouldn't surprise me if she knew many more that I just don't know about. She also just learned to say "ribbit," but when I asked her what a frog says, she just looked at me and smiled, so I'm unsure if she's put it together that a frog says "ribbit".

I guess I never realized how much she actually talks because she's in a different classroom during the day and at home, she talks, but just not as much. Her teachers always tell me how she talks so much more than the other kids her age, but I kind of brushed it off until yesterday and out came "boy" and "girl".

And this picture is just of her in her new Elmo PJs that were from the boys section because they had none in the girls (or the few I did find in the girls section, I didn't like...)

Oh my smart, sassy girl. :-) It's pretty exciting that she's talking so much more now!! And if you're around her a lot and notice her saying a word that you don't know if I know she says it, tell me and I'll add it to the list! :-)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting reading this and relating it to my English Language A level...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you - this is really interesting reading - I am studying early childhood language development.

    ReplyDelete